Saturday, May 19, 2007

Round Two Over

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes! Dave had his second infusion yesterday, and made it through perfectly fine, PTL !!

We got to UCI and were fortunate to get a private room. Which was so much nicer than being in the bay with everyone getting their treatments. It allowed us to have a few minutes to talk and pray together, in private. We had our little portable DVD player and got to watch a movie...one that wasn't even rated G or animated! We even had lunch together. OK, it was hospital cafeteria food, but it was nice to just be together.

I always thought that I had been given the gift of empathy towards sick people. I mean, that's one reason I pursued a career in the medical field. But seeing, first hand, the Oncology ward brings things to a new perspective. I think the saddest thing I saw, was a woman who obviously had Cancer, getting a blood transfusion, while fighting on her cell phone with her insurance company. Wow! That was really something. This poor lady is fighting for her life, literally, and is trying to get her treatments paid by her own insurance.

As we left the hospital, both of us just prayed that this was it. That Dave's battle with this disease would be over in a few weeks. Neither of us is sure what lesson, if any, we are supposed to have learned from all this. But we have definitley gained perspective on things. Health is something most of us in our 30's or 40's don't spend a lot of time thinking about. I mean, yeah, we try to order the fish over the beef. Don't eat too many deserts, sure. But I'm talking about the really BIG picture.

I think our faith has been strengthend as well. It was really hard for us to ask anyone for prayer. While we were so honored to be asked to pray for someone else's needs...we hesitated at bringing our needs out to others. So many of you have been our life line these past months. When I thought I was bordering on being the biggest pest in the world, so many of you would write to me and just be so supportive!

Thanks for all of it. All the love and friendship and support. We just continue to pray that within the next few weeks we can celebrate something really BIG!!

No comments: