Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Toxic Toys???

Those words should never be uttered together…ever! As a parent I am angry that the toy industry allowed this to happen. As a consumer I am angry that a few cents appear to be more valuable than a child’s health and wellness. I am just plain angry! This should not have happened. Not here.

In an age where more and more children are being diagnosed with neurological disorders than ever before, I am convinced that there is something, probably fixable, that is causing this to happen. I wonder if chewing on some lead-based paint might have caused some of these conditions to manifest in our children.

There has been a strong belief among several educated people, not affiliated with the pharmaceutical industry, that mercury found in our children’s immunizations could have had an adverse effect on neurological development. There should be a study on the ever increasing amount of lead being digested by our toddlers!

The toy industry will have to earn my trust again. I’m fortunate in that my kids are past the “oral” stages of putting everything in their mouths. But chances are very high that this has been going on for a long time. So, it’s a real probability that my kids chewed on their share of lead, too.

We need guarantees that the toys our children play with are safe. In every way! Until then, maybe moms should go back to giving their little ones wooden spoons, Tupperware and pots and pans to play with. At least those items shouldn’t adversely affect brain development. Let the toy industry feel the pain in what appears to be the only place that matters....their bottom line.

No comments: