Friday, September 26, 2008

Life, Fear and Faith

When I started writing this blog, several months ago, I never imagined that we would be dealing with anything more scary than Dave's health. But in the last few weeks we have seen our economy take a hit. Personally, we have friends who have lost their jobs, virtually all their savings, their company's compensation -stock packages and some major individual assets. Crazy, crazy days!

Today we found out that our own health insurance will be canceled at the end of the year. That would be a scary thing if I had just a regular need for pediatricians and the occasional doctor visit for Dave and I. But with a major surgery looming before us, as well as covering all the donor's care...I'm a little worried, I won't lie. We will be getting insurance....it's just we aren't sure who will be the carrier.

I try to fall back on my faith, again. I know that as a child of God, He will not leave me, ever. My needs will be met and my family will be taken care of. I rest on that truth. It becomes even more evident, in this life-journey I am on, that I sometimes fall into believing that it's Dave who meets our needs ~ not God. That is really mixed up thinking on my part, for sure.

Today I find myself looking deeper into what it is I truly believe. Who will take care of my boys if something happens to their dad? If something happens to me? There is no financial institution or stock/retirement package or medical insurance that will meet their/our needs. It is through God alone that our needs are met. From whom our real blessings are given.

Faith is tough. It is not tangible, but it is measurable.

I pray for all whose lives have been touched by the current turn of events in our economy. All our friends and friends of friends who have lost so much and who are trying to hold it together for their own families. Maybe it's time we simplify our lives or at least re-prioritize them. It certainly is the time to re-evaluate from where (or from WHOM) our true security comes.

No comments: