Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Missing...one wallet!

I waited to post this, since Dave’s remission was and IS the biggest and best news we could ever had hoped for. But something did happen last week, to me, that wasn’t all that pleasant!

The kids and I were at the mall on Friday afternoon. I had promised them a trip to Build-A-Bear if everyone was “good”. So we ended up there, on a mission to make a bear for their dad. It would be from his boys, encouraging him to feel better soon. So we proceed to choose the bear, fill the bear, put two kissed hearts in the bear, and then give the bear an “air” shower. The boys chose Mr. Bear’s clothes; a fisherman’s outfit. It was actually a tie between Spiderman and Superman, so mom had to step in and offer a third possibility.

After we bought all the stuff, I took the kids to a front table, so we could get him dressed, before taking it home to dad. That’s when it happened!

I had my purse and another shopping bag on the floor, between my feet. But someone literally stole my entire purse from under my nose! I still don’t know how they did it. You hear about stuff like this happening, and I guess it really does.

We found my purse an aisle away, with all the contents (phone, IPod, Joe's epi-pens & keys) still in it…everything, except my wallet! Man!!! Like most moms at the end of the week, I was cash poor. I think I had about $1.50 total cash in there. But my credit cards, some gift cards, my driver’s license, and my Disneyland Club 33 card…they were all in there. For anyone who has had to quickly cancel their cards, it’s not fun. Try doing it at the mall, holding the hands of two boys, while waiting for the sheriff. I am a multi-tasking aficionado! :)

It was a good lesson for my oldest, who’s 9. He is at the age where wandering off sometimes occurs. I have told him that while most people are good, there are people out there that we have to protect ourselves against. I hate that we live in the kind of world which some of the stuff I did as a kid, I can’t let my boys do. Living in the somewhat plastic reality of south Orange County doesn’t help matters. Life is good here. It's clean and pretty, and perpetually new. We live in the 3rd safest small city in the nation. But petty crime does exist. Abduction does exist. Child molestation does exist. I hate it, but that doesn’t make it go away. It was a wake up call for all of us.

We haven’t found my wallet or any of its contents…no big surprise. But I have my two most important , irreplaceable treasures. Safe and intact; my boys!

No comments: